Sunday, September 27, 2009

INVESTIGATING THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD WITH MAX AXIOM, SUPER SCIENTIST



By Kevin Hodgson

Staff Writer



REVIEW

Capstone Press has created its own brand of superhero – Max Axiom, Super Scientist – whose exploits uncover the mysteries of the scientific world. Max Axiom, who sports a bald head and cool glasses, dives into many adventures in the series, exploring such concepts as sound, energy, ecosystems, and others.


With INVESTIGATING THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD WITH MAX AXIOM, the reader goes through the steps of the process of scientific discovery in a very meaningful way. The story doesn't skimp on explanations and the writer (Donald B. Lemke) and illustrators (Tod Smith and Al Migrom) use the graphics inherent in this form to its advantages, showing detailed illustrations that reinforce the story and explanations.


Since I am not a science teacher, I passed on INVESTIGATING THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD WITH MAX AXIOM to my sixth grade teaching colleague, Lisa Rice, and I asked for her impressions. (A side note: it is heartening to see that Max Axiom is a scientist of color as it breaks down the stereotypes of white, geeky nerd scientists tinkering around with chemicals in the lab. Max is not only cool, but he is smart, intuitive and light on his feet).

Here is my podcast interview with Lisa in which she talks about her impressions of the book and also the possibilities for the classroom:


Click here for an alternate podcast link.



More Information

  • Reading level: Ages 9-12
  • Format: Paperback
  • Pages: 32
  • Publisher: Capstone Press
  • ISBN-10: 1429617608
  • ISBN-13: 978-1429617604

This title is also available in an interactive CD format (motion comic). You can click here to read our story of that format.



My Recommendation
I would highly recommend
this book for the middle school classroom. It is informative and lively and engages students on a variety of levels.

3 comments:

poulingail said...

Good post as usual. I appreciated the fact that you went right to the expert, Mrs. Rice, a teacher of science. Having her input gave the review more validity and sold me on the series. Graphic text is a wonderful approach for many subject areas, and it appeals to the visual learner from several different learning styles.

Amber Mann said...

I definitely agree about this book. In fact, the whole Max Axiom series does a great job of fitting lots of science explanations and details into interesting comic stories. I've read these aloud in class, but even better, my 5th and 6th graders pick these books out for fun from the library.

Veronique said...

Hey there, I just came across your site and I have to say I love it! I try to make science comics for my classroom (see my blog if you're interested). Max Axiom sounds like a great resource!